Guess what? My affiliate partner Jaclyn Harwell is the author of Nourishing Holiday, an e-book packed full of holiday dishes that are sure to please your family and friends, regardless of whether they are on a “special” diet or not!
20% Discount with Coupon Code GAPSJOURNEY
Right now (for a limited time) you can get 20% off with a special promo code that Jaclyn has given me for my readers. Use the promo code GAPSJOURNEY and click on this link to get your very own e-copy and get a head start on planning your holiday menu: Nourishing Holiday
Nourishing Holiday is a gorgeous and stunning e-book, filled with recipes that are all GAPS-Legal, grain-free and Paleo Friendly. PERFECT for any special occasion. Not just the holidays, you can use these recipes year round!
And I'm really excited that Jaclyn has given me permission to share one of her recipes: Brown Butter Spice Cake, but first, let me tell you a bit more about Nourishing Holiday!
I wish this book had been around my first holiday meal on GAPS – did you know that I started GAPS the first week of December? I don't know WHAT I was thinking! 🙂 Over the years, I came up with substitutes, but I would have been one happy mama if I'd had this book on hand.
There are over 50 recipes inside, all of which are appropriate for the full GAPS Diet. Here's what you'll find inside:
- Crispy Nuts & Seeds
- Cashew Milk
- Caramel Sauce
- Cauli-White Rice
- Roasted Pumpkin [affiliate link] Puree
- Cream Cheese
- Meat Stock
Snacks & Starters
- Cheesy Crackers
- Gingerbread Man Immune-Boosting Gummies
- Candied Nuts
- Cran-Apple Kraut
- Dilly Cracker Appetizers
- Party Mix
- Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
Soups & Salads
- Spice Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Turkey Twice Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Ham and Collard Greens Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Winter Pear Salad with Sweet Olive Oil Dressing
- Beet & Goat Cheese Salad with Honey [affiliate link] Mustard Dressing
- Honey “Wheat” Dinner Rolls
- Sweet “No Potato” Casserole
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Cranberry Sauce
- Carrot Souffle
- Green Bean Casserole
- Mashed Faux-Tatoes
- Roasted Root Veggies
- Mama's Sweet “Corn” Bread Stuffing
- Real Deal Turkey Gravy
- Roasted Turkey
- Honey Ham
- Mincemeat Pies
- Rosemary Roasted Chicken
- Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Coconut Cranberry Kefir Cake
- Flaky Pie Crust
- Fruit Cake
- Pecan Pie
- Cinnamon [affiliate link] Rolls
- Creamy Dreamy Pumpkin Pie
- Brown Butter Spice Cake
- Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake Pecan Pie
- Carrot Cake
- Figgy Pudding
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Gingerbread Man Cookies
- Apple Pie
- Eggnog Ice Cream
- Chai Tea Concentrate
- Golden Hot Chocolate
- Spiced Holiday Wassail
There are so many dishes to choose from, you will be set for several holiday meals in a row!
And now, as I mentioned earlier, the recipe for Brown Butter Spice Cake. Jaclyn says brown butter adds a caramel-y depth of flavor to baked goods, and this spice cake is no exception. She says it is perfect for breakfast, snacking or dessert. I can tell you it was AMAZING. SCRUMPTIOUS. DELICIOUS. YUMMY.
And it wasn't even chocolate!!
I kept going back for another slice and another slice and another slice… finally I had to have my husband hide it from me!
Brown Butter Spice Cake
Time: 45 min
- ¼ cup butter (+ more for greasing cake pan; replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.)
- 1 cup blanched, finely ground almond flour [affiliate link]
- ¼ cup coconut flour [affiliate link]
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda [affiliate link]
- ½ tsp sea salt [affiliate link]
- ¼ tsp ground ginger [affiliate link]
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves [affiliate link]
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup crispy cashews
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup butter (Replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.)
- ¼ cup cream cheese (Omit for dairy-free and increase cashew milk to ¼ cup.)
- 1 tbsp cashew milk
- 1 tsp vanilla [affiliate link]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8” cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, brown ½ cup butter: turn the burner on medium-high and keep a close eye to be sure it doesn’t burn, which will result in a bitter-tasting glaze. When butter turns brown and smells caramel-y, take it off the burner to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs and honey and use a hand mixer to mix on high for one minute, until frothy.
- Add egg mixture and ¼ cup brown butter to coconut flour mixture and mix on high with a hand mixer until batter is smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a platter and drizzling with glaze.
- Make the glaze: In the container of a high-powered blender, blend cashews, honey, cream cheese, cashew milk, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup brown butter until smooth.
- Pour evenly over cake and dust with cinnamon, if desired.