I know it's been over two months since I've posted – so much has happened but here is the biggest thing: My mom is in her own apartment now and getting settled in very nicely. I am so grateful that I was able to help her get away from the situation she was in and recover to the point where she can now regain her independence. Also I'm very thankful that my brother is in a place where he has been able to step in and help my mom so that I can step back and take a breather. I have to say that the last almost two years has been very challenging to say the least! I've missed connecting with you here and I'm very interested in continuing to help spread the word about GAPS, healing with food and various healing modalities and trying to ease myself back into a routine. I took a few weekends off once my mom was moved just to adjust and when I thought I was ready to gear myself up my Internet Service provider just decided to go out of business! I've been without the Internet at home since June 5th! If all goes well I'll be connected again by this coming weekend.
Right this minute I'm typing while at work, taking a couple of vacation hours during lunch to put this post together because I wanted to be sure you know that my affiliate partner Sean Croxton has a new “session” in his Second Opinion Series. This one is called the Depression Sessions.
Depression has played a part in my life since my teen years, and in fact it was one of the reasons I decided to try GAPS in the first place. Those of us working to heal and seal our guts are on the right path since gut dysbiosis is very often at the root of depression, although sadly most doctors don't make that consideration. It is very common that they simply prescribe medication to alleviate symptoms. Sometimes it really blows my mind how most allopathic doctors pay no mind to the food we eat and how much our gut bacteria plays a part in our health and symptoms. Although I have to say I can kind of understand why because so many people are unwilling to change their diet and give up their beloved favorite foods. I have to admit I was there once upon a time, and at times still struggle to stay away from foods which I know are not good for my body. But at least now I know better!
I'm very excited about this online event and have already purchased my digital pass in case I don't have a chance to listen in every day. (I always buy so that I have lifetime access plus the option to download the audio and the PDF transcripts. My commute is a minimum of two hours daily and sometimes 3 hours depending on traffic, so I love downloading the audio and listening through my car speakers using my iPod – really makes the trip go so much faster).
The line up of speakers is very impressive for the Depression Sessions and you can watch or listen free from June 14th to June 27th. Click here to register to listen in free.
Here is the lineup:
Sunday/Monday June 14th and 15th
Balancing Brain Chemistry: Targeted Individual Amino Acids for Anxiety and Depression
- The “forbidden” food that, according to the research, is most connected to mental health.
- How to use amino acid supplements to lift your mood … in 5 minutes or less!
- Why no one should ever take Xanax! (Plus, the best plan for tapering off Rx benzo drugs.)
- Major problems with urinary neurotransmitter testing, and what to do instead.
- A simple protocol for easing (and maybe reversing) social anxiety and introversion.
Mind-Altering Microorganisms: How the Bugs in Your Gut May Be Affecting Your Mood
- A gut bacteria that sends Valium-like messages to the brain.
- How stress, infections, and bad bacteria can send your serotonin production off the rails!
- Why eliminating gluten is the first recommendation for patients with depression.
- Why candida overgrowth and mold are hidden causes of depression.
- Specific must-get nutrients that fight depression and promote brain health.
Confessions of an Ex-Pharmaceutical Sales Rep
- How pharma reps use high pressure tactics and “spin selling” to encourage doctors to prescribe their drugs.
- Why “mood and energy follow blood sugar.” Plus, the forbidden nutrient with the most profound, positive effect on your blood sugar and mood.
- How drug companies manipulate studies and drug trials to gain acceptance and FDA approval.
- The neurotransmitter-building macronutrient your doctor overlooked.
The safest way to wean off of psychiatric medications.
Tuesday/Wednesday, June 16th & 17th
The Truth About Antidepressants: Hurting or Helping?
- Neurotransmitters 101: How brain chemicals command your thoughts, feelings, and moods.
- Why psychiatric medications STOP working or eventually require higher dosages.
- The shocking powers of “sugar pills”.
- Four theories for how SSRIs work. Which do you believe?
Depression: Is It In the Genes?
- An incredibly common genetic mutation that may cause depression.
- Why leafy green vegetables may be the key to boosting your mood.
- The autoimmune condition that can trigger depression.
- Inexpensive and accessible tests for uncovering identifying genetic mutations.
- The #1 nutrient deficiency that keeps SSRIs from doing their jobs
Misdiagnosed: How Thyroid Problems Mimic the Symptoms of Depression
- How psychiatric medication may ruin your metabolism, leading to weight gain on par with eating an extra 1000-1500 calories per day!
- Why people with mood disorders have significantly greater rates of thyroid antibodies.
- EXACTLY which tests accurately measure your thyroid function. Plus, get the optimal ranges!
- Why your tap water may the primary course of hypothyroidism.
- Can thyroid meds act like antidepressants?
Thursday/Friday, June 18th & 19th
How to Rewire Your Brain and Beat Depression with Neurofeedback
- How to see your life through the lens of biochemistry and the brain’s electrical wiring.
- The perils of “The Prozac Paradigm”. (And how new research is moving away from it.)
- How brain technologies, like neurofeedback, can permanently rewire the brain.
- Nutritional Dos and Don’ts: food reactivities, blood sugar, and adrenal function.
- Why a fat-based diet can dramatically improve circulation in the brain.
PMS, PCOS, and Postpartum: A Woman's Guide to Depression
- The 5 hormonal shifts predisposing women to depression.
Postpartum depression: What causes it and what to do about it.
- The 2 “magic bullet [affiliate link]” supplements for maximizing your mood.
What every woman (and her man!) MUST know about the menstrual cycle.
- The big problem with birth control and your libido.
Damage Control for Anxiety and Panic Attacks
- How much anxiety is normal … and what’s not!
The overlooked brain chemical that may be driving anxiety.
- Why caffeine and anxiety don’t mix. (It’s NOT the caffeine!)
How inflammation, dehydration, and blood sugar precipitate anxiety.
- The essential oil proven to be as effective as prescription anxiety drugs.
Saturday/Sunday, June 20th & 21st
Reframing Depression: A Functional Nutrition Approach
- How to form an empowering “partnership” with your health practitioner.
- A 3-step approach for assessing and successfully treating mental health issues.
- Triggers and timelines: How to pinpoint what is causing your depression … and when.
- How to prioritize underlying dysfunctions (digestion, detox, etc.) to find your starting point.
- Andrea’s “signature brain health system” for combatting depression.
The Microbiome-Mood Connection
- How the digestive system — aka “the second brain” — drives serotonin production!
- Specific tests for finding your “bacterial fingerprint” and uncovering hidden infections.
- How GMO crops negatively impact mood-boosting proteins in the food supply.
- Diet and lifestyle strategies for optimizing your microbiome. (Plus, probiotic tips!)
- How antidepressants are “hijacking” your brain and leading to addiction.
How to Boost Your Mood with Foods and Fats
- Why cholesterol is GOOD for your brain! And why carbs are NOT brain fuel.
- The connection between blood sugar, frequent eating, and mood regulation.
- Why kids with ADHD respond to a high-fat diet.
Dr. Childers’s top mood-boosting and mood-busting foods.
- How iron deficiency may lead to attention deficit disorder and depression.
How to Lift a Heavy Mind
- The 3 Ps of Depression: Navigating the fine line separating sadness and depression.
- Simple pleasure-tapping shifts to “shock the system” and break out of an emotional flu.
- How to put your negative self-talk on the stand and deconstruct the lies it’s telling you.
- Dos and dont’s for breaking the cycle of fatigue and isolation.
- Losing Love: How to deal with the end of a relationship.
Monday/Tuesday, June 22nd & 23rd
Natural Antidepressant Alternatives
The ancient herb that fights cortisol and has an anti-depressive effect.
- The power of flowers: how prescription drugs are based on natural plant compounds.
- An misunderstood, calming plant that safely treats anxiety and depression.
- Exciting, new findings on sunlight and the production of cellular energy.
- Why gluten consumption can be the primary trigger for depression.
Depression is NOT a Serotonin Deficiency
- The “flawed logic” underlying our current understanding of how antidepressants work.
- Why “belief” may be more powerful than the medication itself.
- Why “doing nothing” can be more effective than taking a drug.
- Can the effects of antidepressants be due to their anti-inflammatory properties?
- Must-get test markers for depression-driving inflammation. Plus, their optimal ranges!
How to Transition Off of Psychiatric Medications
- Why depression is NOT a condition, but a symptom of an underlying issue.
- Specific nutrients your body needs when tapering off of psychiatric medications.
- 5 doctor-recommended tips for menopausal women going through hormone-related depression.
- The horrifying link between antidepressants and violent behavior.
Wednesday/Thursday, June 24th & 25th
Drug Muggers: How Rx Drugs Steal Mood-Friendly Nutrients
- How to “think outside the pill” when struggling with depression.
- How pharmaceutical companies create new diseases to sell their drugs.
- Specific drugs that deplete your body of mood- and memory-friendly nutrients.
- Why excess coffee [affiliate link] consumption may cause anxiety … in some people.
- 7 natural supplements (and an antidepressant tea!) proven to boost your mood.
How to Find the Root Cause of Your Depression: A Clinical Perspective
- Why there’s more to correcting mood disorders than boosting neurotransmitter levels. A lot more!
- Why traumatic brain injuries often show up as depression years later.
- How chronic gut inflammation can cause brain inflammation, leading to depression.
- It’s never just depression. How your “other symptoms” (like insomnia, blood sugar problems, brain fog, and anxiety) can help determine why you’re depressed.
Toxins, Free Radicals, and the Drastic Rise in Depression
- A common “stress” that stops the conversion of 5-HTP to tryptophan in its tracks.
- A specific nutrient deficiency that robs your body of tryptophan.
- The nasty toxin that degrades your vitamin D and downgrades the immune system.
- A fascinating food compound that unlocks your body’s antioxidant reserves.
- Anti-inflammatory foods to add to your diet TODAY!
Friday/Saturday, June 26th & 27th
The Gift of Depression: A Deeper Psychophysiological and Spiritual View
- Marc’s best tips for taking action on the information presented in these sessions.
- The value of listening to “the brilliance” of your depression.
- How to identify the hero within.
- A common mood buster potentially lurking in your home.
- How to work with the anger and rage that coincide with depression.
Natural Treatments for Depression, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder
- Common lab markers that can tip you off to the cause(s) of depression.
- Why single-dose nutrient therapy rarely helps with depression.
- Distinguishing the two types of bipolar disorder … and how to treat them.
- A little-known micronutrient supplement that may treat bipolar naturally.
- Out-of-the-box (and inexpensive) treatments for depression you've never heard of!
- How to identify what depression may be teaching you about your life.
- The Chinese medicine view of depression … and how to overcome “stagnation”.
- A simple supplement tip for banishing cravings and balancing blood sugar.
Hope to “see” you there! 🙂