I'm thrilled to tell you that I have another product from Tropical Traditions to give away to one of my blog readers. Today I will be reviewing Tropical Traditions Canadian Raw Honey which is raw, wild, unprocessed and certified organic!
This honey is thick and creamy looking. It is completely unlike the honey you typically see available in the supermarket in little plastic honey bear bottles. It is even different than the honey I have purchased from health food stores. The creamy look to the honey is visual proof that it has not been processed. This honey has been lightly heated just enough so that it can be filtered with temperatures never rising above those in the hive, and it contains all the beneficial nutrients and enzymes, including live yeasts and also contains pollen. By the way, in Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's Frequently Asked Questions she states that she recommends pollen, so we are good there. However, remember that infants under the age of 1 should not be fed honey.
I asked a specific question to Tropical Traditions. I used to buy my honey through my local food coop but our coop manager found, to our great dismay that the beekeeper was feeding his bees high fructose corn syrup. So with this in mind, I asked Tropical Traditions if they know how or if the bees are being fed. I received this response from Sandra, “I was able to find out that law prohibits High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) as a supplementation for bees used to produce organic raw honey. Use of it would prevent organic certification. The bees used to supply our honey have not been supplemented in any way.” This is very important information, especially if you are trying to avoid corn in your diet!
In order to preserve the health benefits of this honey, I would recommend that you use it in cool dishes rather than baking or cooking. While reading up on this lovely and sweet product, I came across this recipe at Tropical Traditions' How to Use Coconut Oil page which looks amazing: Strawberry Cream Pie. Doesn't that look delicious? Following this photo is the video recipe from Tropical Traditions.
Tropical Traditions also gave me a jar of this honey to try out myself several weeks ago. I have used it to make my Sesame Chocolate Nutty Bites which I shared recently, plus a couple of other recipes. I love the smooth texture and it has a great taste – it is especially luscious mixed with butter half and half and slathered on pancakes. I am looking forward to experimenting with it more as I suspect in my older recipes I would be able to get by with using less honey since it is real, pure honey!
And now for the giveaway rules.
This giveaway runs from early Friday morning 9/14/12 at 12:01am EST and ends on Friday night at midnight 9/21/12 EST.
There are two mandatory entries, and you will earn 5 points each for these entries.
- You must be subscribed to the Tropical Traditions newsletter
- You must be subscribed to my newsletter
Do be sure to watch for the confirmation email for my newsletter or you will not be completely subscribed which will void your entry. All entries will be validated before the final winner is chosen.
This giveaway is open to people in the United States and Canada.
That’s it!! You can also earn more points and these are all optional.
- 4 extra points – Visit Tropical Traditions How to Use Coconut Oil page, find the coconut fudge (as pictured above) and type in the exact recipe name. Please do not reveal the name of the recipe in the comments section. Thanks.
- 3 extra points – Become a Facebook Fan of Tropical Traditions
- 3 extra points – Become a Facebook Fan of GAPS Diet Journey
- 2 extra points – Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter
- 2 extra points – Follow Tropical Traditions Special Deals on Twitter
- 2 extra points – Follow Tropical Traditions on Pinterest
- 2 extra points – Subscribe to my RSS feed
- 2 extra points – Tweet about the Giveaway, you can do this 1x each day
- 2 extra points – Follow GAPS Diet Journey on Twitter
- 10 extra BONUS points – For those of you SUBSCRIBED to my newsletter before this giveaway started, find the newsletter in your email inbox (entitled “Giveaway! Organic Raw Honey from Tropical Traditions”) which announced this giveaway and you will find a special code which when entered will give you 10 extra points toward winning. (Please note that my newsletter is different than “subscription by email”. I only send out one or two newsletters each month. “Subscription by email” sends my most recent blog posts directly to your email address).
Please use the Rafflecopter form below for all entries and to earn your additional points. Best of luck to everyone! Hugs, Starlene
**If you order from Tropical Traditions by clicking on any of my Tropical Traditions links and are a brand new customer, you will receive this free book: Virgin Coconut Oil : How it Has Changed People’s Lives, and How it Can Change Yours, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you. Thank you!