FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you click through my link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on your sale. This helps me cover a portion of the cost to run GAPS Diet Journey site and allows me to continue providing free content. This has no effect on your price. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support! ~Starlene
Yay! I finally bought myself some glass straws! I've been curious to try them ever since they came out several years ago. I like the uniqueness of the product, and I love when I can buy something once that can be used again and again.
I finally took the leap with my $15 bonus coupon from the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle (on FLASH SALE from midnight Sunday 12/27/15 to Tuesday 12/29/15). I decided to get the Starter Set recommended by Strawesome for folks who are new to glass straws.
I'm going to share my recipe with you – scroll down for a little more about the straws and what I think of them.
Peaches are in season, as are blackberries. The peaches have been amazingly delicious, the juice just drips when bitten into, and they are so sweet.
This recipe (for me) is sweet enough with only the fruit. Feel free to add your sweetener of choice. You may want to roast the fruit the day before, but you can do everything in the same day.
Decadent Roasted Peach Blackberry Smoothie
Cut peaches in half, remove the pits. Cut into 1″ thick slices. Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of a casserole dish and line with peaches and blackberries. Place in oven preheated to 375°. Allow to roast for 30 or 40 minutes, until peaches are tender.
Remove from oven. Place fruit onto a large plate to cool. You can also put them into the refrigerator at this point.
I am totally loving my new straws! My set is crystal clear but they have all different kinds. There is really quite a large selection to choose from. Some straws are colored and some have special decorative designs like the ones in the image above. Some are “barely bent” and some are straight. The length ranges from the short (6″) to the blender smoothie straw (12″). There are skinny diameter (7mm) straws all the way up to the “bubble tea” straws which are 15mm in diameter and they even have carrying cases to take your straw with you wherever you go.
I'm now wishing I had decided on one of the super long decorative straws to call my very own!
It is a completely different experience using a smooth glass straw vs. a disposable plastic straw. It is hard to describe but part of it is the sensory aspect in that a plastic straw has a sharp thin plastic edge while the Strawesome straw is completely smooth with a thicker rounded surface.
The Starter Set cost $26.95. Shipping was $6.64. So after the coupon discount I paid $18.59 for four straws, one each of the following plus the cleaning brush:
- See-Thru Short Straw 6″ 9.5mm diameter
- See-Thru Short Smoothie Straw 8″ 9.5mm diameter
- See-Thru Straw 8″ 12mm diameter
- See-Thru Smoothie Straw 8″ 12mm diameter
Here are some facts about these straws:
- Strawesome straws are made of borosilicate glass tubing which is the strongest commercially available glass. This is the same glass that Pyrex® is made from.
- Borosilicate glass is non-toxic, so you can feel confident when drinking hot or cold liquids that no toxins are leaching into your beverage.
- Annealed (slowly cooled to make it tougher and less brittle) so that it is dishwasher safe.
- Handmade in the USA
- 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don’t love your straw, send it back to Strawesome for a full refund.
- Lifetime guarantee against breakage. If you break it Strawesome will replace it. (Is that so cool?!)
- 2 large peaches
- 6 ounces blackberries
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 cup ice
- Cut peaches in half, remove the pits. Cut into 1" slices. Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of a casserole dish and line peaches and blackberries. Place in oven preheated to 375°. Allow to roast for 30 or 40 minutes, until peaches are tender.
- Remove from oven. Place fruit onto a large plate to cool. You can also put them into the refrigerator at this point.
- Add fruit to blender. Add coconut milk, vanilla and ice. Blend 10-30 seconds.