These cookies were inspired by my Chocolate Medallions. I do like chocolate, but I have to say these were ever more delicious. They are lighter and softer, and the orange zest lends a delicate orange flavor. If you are at a stage with GAPS where you cannot yet handle cocoa powder, these are very delicious and will hit the spot for a little something sweet (although be sure you tolerate coconut flour well as it is quite fibrous). The Orange Medallions in the image above are filled with a GAPS Legal Butter Cream Frosting which contains honey, eggs, vanilla, butter and salt, although these cookies taste wonderful alone. The Butter Cream Frosting recipe can be found at Modern Alternative Mama. You will find a printable recipe for the Orange Medallions at the bottom of this post.
Orange Medallions Coconut Flour Cookies
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 vanilla bean, optional
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a mixer until well blended, a minute or two. Allow to sit for five minutes so that the coconut flour can absorb. Like the Chocolate Medallions, this cookie dough is very soft.
Drop by measured even tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Butter your fingers lightly and pat and tap the cookie into a round shape.
Bake for 8 minutes at 350°F.
Makes 24 small cookies.
Be sure to scrape the bowl with a spatula. I did and garnered two tablespoons of dough – two more cookies!
I tried plopping rather large spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, but it took 15 minutes for the cookie to be done. They were delicious and I couldn’t stop myself from gobbling three of the four I’d baked. I saved one for my son to try. There was a problem, however. The larger amount of dough required a longer baking time, so long that the bottom of the cookie was very close to being burnt. Not quite, but almost. I decided to continue with my method for the Chocolate Medallions using the measured even tablespoons.
One more thing… I would have taken a photo with these cookies in towers, as I did with the Chocolate Medallions, but they were apparently a huge hit with my younger non-GAPS son who must have eaten a dozen by the time I got back in the kitchen to snap photos.
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup room temperature butter
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a mixer until well blended, a minute or two.
- Allow to sit for five minutes so that the coconut flour can absorb. This cookie dough is very soft.
- Drop by measured even tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Butter your fingers lightly and pat and tap the cookie into a round shape.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 350°F.
- When done, they will lose their glossy look.
- If you press lightly on the cookie and it leaves an indent, put them in for another 2-3 minutes.
GAPS DIET JOURNEY is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to AMAZON.COM. GAPS DIET JOURNEY is an affiliate for several companies and may be compensated through advertising and marketing channels. Therefore, this post may contain affiliate links.