This soup is suitable for Introduction, Stage One.
Cod Fish and Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup scallions (or onions) finely chopped
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 cup clear broth
- 2 cups meat stock (stock which includes the “soft bits” blended well or you can just use clear broth)
- 1 pound boneless cod fish, diced into 1/2″ chunks
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
Place broth in a pot bring to a simmer, add scallions, simmer for ten minutes.
Add mushrooms, simmer for ten minutes.
Reserve one-half cup of the scallions and mushrooms. Put the remainder into your blender and blend for one to two minutes until fairly well blended. You may still see specks of mushroom.
Add the additional two cups of meat stock, or broth. Heat until at 170°F. Add the cod fish and stir for one minute. Turn off the heat and let the soup sit for 10 minutes.
After ten minutes, remove a chunk of fish and test to see that it is done – you will know this if it flakes when you press on it. If it does not flake, simply turn on the heat for another minute or two until the fish is done.
I tried to find wild caught whole fish to make fish stock, but I was not successful, so I just used chicken broth and chicken meat stock.